Blue MedicareRx (PDP) plans are standalone Medicare Part D prescription drug plans (PDP), and are available to Medicare beneficiaries living in:
- Rhode Island
We offer two plans to choose from:
- Blue MedicareRx Value Plus (PDP)
- Blue MedicareRx Premier (PDP)
Some things to consider:
- Part D is offered through standalone prescription drug plans and Medicare Advantage Plans. You may only have one Part D plan at a time
- If you already have a Medicare Advantage plan with Part D coverage (Medicare HMO Blue or Medicare PPO Blue plans) you won't need to purchase a prescription drug plan
- If you are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan and enroll in Blue MedicareRx, you will be automatically disenrolled from your Medicare Advantage plan
When to Join a Part D Plan
If you are eligible for, and have not enrolled in, any kind of Medicare Part D prescription plan, and you don't currently have creditable prescription coverage (that is a plan that covers at least as much as standard Medicare Part D prescription coverage), there are special rules for when you can join a Part D plan.
The annual election period for Medicare Part D is from October 15 through December 7. In addition, there is another chance to join a Medicare Part D prescription drug plan. From January 1 through March 31st, a member may disenroll from a Medicare Advantage plan and choose Original Medicare and a Part D plan.
If you do not enroll during the annual enrollment period or when you become eligible, your premium cost may go up for every month that you wait to join or do not obtain coverage. This penalty is imposed by the federal government.
For more information about the premium penalty, please visit the Medicare.gov website's Frequently Asked Questions section.